So here is the recipe for the soup I bring to the studio that smells so good. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I love roasted root vegetables in the fall and winter. They are so satisfying.
The great thing about the soup is that it tastes great as written but if you want more depth you can add to the garam masala or if you wish more heat you can add a hotter curry spice.
Coconut Sweet Potato Soup
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 onion (chopped)
- 2 stalks of celery (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (pressed or finely chopped)
- 1 Tbsp of garam masala (I often add extra 1 teaspoon for richness)
- 4 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of curry powder (mild or hot- depending on your preference)
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 5 1/2 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- 160 ml can of coconut milk
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water
- Roast sweet potatoes by cutting in 1 3/4 to 2 inch rounds. Place potatoes on baking tray and cover with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake for approximately 1 hour in a 350 F oven. Remove potatoes when tender and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over a medium heat in a pot. Sauté the onion and celery until they are soft and translucent. Next add in the garlic and then the garam masala and curry powder. Let the spices heat for about 20 to 40 seconds. Set pan aside.
- Remove the skins from the sweet potatoes . Place potatoes into the saucepan and stir well to coat in spices. Add stock and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down to medium-low and cover. Keep at a light simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove pot from heat and allow to cool.
- In a food processer or a blender take the in small batches soup and blend until smooth and creamy. Place soup back into saucepan on a medium heat.
- Add coconut milk and water for or desired consistency and stir. Pepper to taste (optional). Simmer soup over a medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Ready to serve.